Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thoughts on Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice

Hi, my name is Michael Freeman and I am one of the Education and Training Coordinators with the Office of Diversity Initiatives at the University of Central Florida in Orlando Florida. This is my blog. I would like to use the space to post news articles, events and thoughts around the challenges we, as individuals, institutions and as a community, face in understanding diversity, inclusion and social justice. We may not be able to solve the issue of world peace, but I do hope we can create a space to talk about the everyday events that impact our building institutions and communities of justice. My comments do not reflect those of the University of Central Florida or it's administration, faculty, staff or students. These are mine alone and as such, I will take full responsibility. Let's get this thing started...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invitation M! A great way to tie people who belive in diversity and inclusion together. On that note, I just wanted to add that not all the Chrisitians are against the LGBTQA community. In fact, many Christians (outside of fundamentalist circles) are part of the LGBTQA community. The church I go to is having discussions to officially include in their mission statement the words "Open and Affirming," to let the gay community know beyond a shadow of doubt that they are welcome, appreciated, and that the church will support their cause for social justice. Again, the church is in process and dialogue with all of its members trying to ger the initiative passed democratically. But so far, things look positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike...your point is excellent and many of our faith communities have made amazing strides in valuing all "people of faith." We have to continue to press this institution to recognize that when they use the term, "God's children" there are no "broken or imperfect children." My hope is that at least within your life time, many of these communities will evaluate their hatred and disdain for our LGBTQA community in terms of exactly what was done 50 years ago to African Americans when they were not allowed into many of these same churches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi M. I just I called and left a message about an invitation to you to address these very issues at at First Congregational. Please let me know if you can make it and to discuss further. If you can't make it, can you send a representative? The church and many of its members are serious to get the "Open and Affirming" initiative passed.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got your message...I will be arriving from the west coast on Saturday, but will be happy to be a part of this work. We can talk about the particulars and how I can best support you.

    ReplyDelete