Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Manifesto-It's Time to Move On

"I have made a decision. I will no longer debate the issue of homosexuality in the church with anyone!" These are the words of Bishop John Shelby Spong and reflect the sentiment of many who have engaged those in our faith community around the issue of God's children who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or any variation beyond heterosexual. His words and the manifesto it represents resonates deep in my Christian spirit. I'm tired too! Read his words posted through our good friends at "Walking with Integrity." Let's discuss

http://walkingwithintegrity.blogspot.com/2009/10/manifesto-from-our-friend-bishop-john.html?spref=fb

1 comment:

  1. I thought the comment from one of my students, says it all..."I'm glad someone with some status has stood up and used the same harsh rhetoric [although in Bishop Spong's case, it seemed essential] that has been used to denounce the LGBT community by the "community based" institutions of churches. The only opposition they have met, from my experience, is a few of us standing up to the people in charge pointing out the injustice of it all, and that is drowned out. I'm tired of worrying about how I can reconcile my sexuality and my faith community to the same. I want to bring a bloody boyfriend to church, for Christ's sake!" Thanks, AC...you are brilliant as always.

    ReplyDelete